Packing up and shipping out

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I had an awakening. Most of 2014 had been spent in a state of restlessness and a desire for more. I didn't know what I wanted more of, I just knew that what I had was not what I wanted. I was working an easy job in supply chain. I was spending the 18th year living in the same small city I'd grown up in. I had an awesome group of friends, and we'd always find something exciting to do. I was in a deeply unsatisfying, one-sided relationship. It was familiar... and change is anything but familiar.

I'd toyed with the idea of moving to Oceanside, California for half of the year. But the idea of leaving my friends, my career, and most of my possessions was... well, pretty damn scary.
Preconceived idea of California - there is absolutely no way it could be this cool, I thought

I awoke on October 23, 2014 with a new courage rashness. It's hard to say what brought it on, but certainly, it was at least in part due to a recognition of the same pattern that had left me feeling unsatisfied most of the year. The idea of being reunited with my family and one of my best friends for the holidays was fuel to my fire. The next 3 weeks were a whirlwind. Calling my landlord, choosing what to bring and what to sell, craigslist encounters, utilities, roommates, packing, calls to friends... then right before I put in my two weeks notice, I was offered a permanent position at Weil-McLain.

There I was, sitting in front of the Plant Manager and Human Resources Manager, stammering out excuses for turning down a generous offer. I was moving across country to pursue a pipe dream. But, they responded with encouragement and praise for my work ethic and passion. I have so many compliments for the company, as they worked tirelessly with me to pursue working remotely and made arrangements to hire me as a consultant.

The last 2 weeks in North Carolina were deja vu of every attempt I'd made to leave the state earlier in the year. Every time I set a departure date, something would happen to delay it. Many of the coolest people I know in North Carolina gathered to bid me adieu on November 14th. Over whisky and a concoction of shots, we promised to visit and keep in touch.

Friends like these are hard to come by

As of November 15, I was homeless. My trip across country was scheduled to start on the 15th, but at the last minute, I received a phone call from the Director of Supply Chain with a desperate plea for me to stay one more week. My expenses were covered, and I couldn't turn it down. For the first time in my life, I had no where to call home. It was strangely exhilarating. I stayed in a spare bedroom upstairs in a house owned by two of my best friends. My car was overflowing with my possessions, which consisted mostly of clothes, shoes, vinyls, and photos. I had decided to bring my beer brewing equipment. I had decided not to bring the 8 totes of Halloween decorations from the annual Halloween party that had just finished its 6th run. New state, new traditions.

Vinyl player, yes.

Ex-boyfriend, no.

I'd made one important purchase in preparation for my trip. I had sold off half my belongings to buy a Canon 6D DSLR. Armed with this and a killer itinerary, I was ready for road warrior status.


Finally, on the evening of November 21st, I scooped up Delilah, my spunky pup, and we quietly slipped away from Greensboro. Many adventures lay on the road ahead.